Parting the classes/workshops/seminars into level is a useful tool. This list shall help you to find out on which level you are at the moment. Please, keep in mind that you will rarely find a level which represents exactly your knowledge. That means, you should choose the level which represents your knowledge the closest. For example, you may be technically already really good but you still have deficites in recognizing the rythms. In this case you should look after the level which has the most points in common with your skills.
If you are insecure our team will help you gladly to find out your level in a personal talk.
This level classification has been developped by Yasmin al Ghazali and Said el Amir, to whose concepts of classes this scheme refers.
Have fun in your classes and happy dancing!
Level 0 — complete beginner
- You have no knowledge in Middle Eastern Dance.
- You have no to almost no knowledge in other dance arts.
- You want to make your first experiences in Middle Eastern Dance or jomdance.
If most of these points fit to you, then you are on level „complete beginner“.
Level 1 — beginner
- You have poor knowledge in Middle Eastern Dance.
- You dance since approximately half a year and you do not train often.
- You know the 3 axes of space, the 4th dimension called time as well as the elementary movements after the ESTODA-System.
- You are able to dance the 6 elementary movements properly staying without steps:
- You are able to walk with the rhythm, you hear it and you keep it.
- You are experienced in simple step such as basic step, chassé, step-after.
- You dance first short combinations with basic arm postures.
If most of these points fit to you, then you are on level „beginner“.
Level 2 — advanced beginner
- You have basic knowledge in Middle Eastern Dance.
- You dance between half a year and a year or you train more often or you have knowledge in other dance arts.
- You are able to dance the 6 elementary movements in pelvis and torso staying and in space with level changes.
- You know first shimmy variations such as a simple pelvis tilt shimmy, 3/4-shimmy upwards and are able to execute a hagallah-basic-step on slow rhythm.
- You know different basic steps such as grapewine etc. and you fullfill first turns such as 3-point-turn, arabesque face vault, pivot-turn.
- You hear the „one“ of the rhythm and you adjust your movements to the rhythm.
- You dance short combinations with simple changes in focus and spatial directions with various arm positions.
If most of these points fit to you, then your are on level „advanced beginners“ .
Level 3 — intermediate
- You have a good and profound basic concerning Middle Eastern Dance.
- You dance between one and 3 years and you train more or less regularly.
- You know various combinations of the elementary movements und you are sure about the „how to“.
- You are able to execute dual combinations such as figure eights, circles, undulations as well as accents such as hip drops and kicks. AND you are able to dance them properly and isolated.
- You know further shimmy variations such as shimmy of inclination and twist and you are able to dance the 3/4-shimmy upwards and hagalla-basic to a moderate rhythm.
- You have a good repertoire of basic steps and varies different turns such as pencil-turn, tip-turn crossed front, arabesque en dedans.
- You know first basic rhythms, recognize them when hearing them and you know how to count them.
- You dance little combinations with changes of focus and spatial directions, turns and various arm positions.
If most of these points fit to you, then your are on level „intermediate“.
Level 4 — advanced intermediate
- You have a profound basis and further knowledge in Middle Eastern Dance or jomdance.
- You dance between 3 and 5 years and you are training and excercising regularly or more often.
- You know dual and triple combinations of the elementary movements and you know how they are put together in numbers and timewise.
- You are able to execute more complicated dual and triple combinations and so called pseudo-quartuple combinations such as Siwa-Step, Suheir-Saki-Step, Undulations sagittal and horizontal upwards and downwards (camel, Bodywave etc.) and you are able to dance them properly and well isolated and variated with the rhythm.
- You know complicated shimmy variations such as twist and inclination hagalla to front, basic hagalla backwards and you are able to fullfill them easily with no problems fluently and in various tempi.
- You have a good repertoire of movements and you know how to connect them without thinking.
You are not afraid to improvise to music.
- You know different basic rhythms recognize them and knows how to count them and what is danced to them.
- You dance longer combinations with challenging changes in focus and spatial directions and turns such as Arabesque en dedans and en dehors, coupé-turns and demanding arm positions.
- You have first experiences with veil, zills and cance.
If most of these points fit to you, then your are on level „advanced intermediate".
Level 5 — advanced
- You have a wide knowledge concerning Middle Eastern Dances.
- You dance since more than 4 years, train and excercise regularly or more often or intensively.
- You know complicated and sophisticated combinations of the elementary movements and you know how they are put together.
- You dance complicated triple and quadruple combinations such as downwards tilt-inclination-circle, diagonal tilt-horizontal, various leg-swayer, layered movements with added shimmies, hagallah in different variations and to fast rhythms.
- You master diverse turn and arabesques and techniques of famous dancers.
- You dance longer combinations with various steps and movements as well as changing in tempo and spatial directions, level changes and a lot of spatial work.
- You vary and fill them with your expression.
- You have a profound background knowledge of cultureal traditions and know the basic rhythms in theory and praxis.
- You have good skills in zill playing, veil work and cane dance and you know various folklore dances.
- Your dance repertoire comprises different dances up to complete dance routines including a show presentation structure.
If most of these points fit to you, then your are on level „advanced“.
Level 6 — well advanced or semi professional
- You have extensive and intensive knowledge in Middle Eastern Dance.
- You dance since several years, you work out and practice regularly and extend your knowledge continously.
- You analyse and implement movements into your dance after the system of elementary movements.
- You master sophisticated intracorporeal movements and ambitious leg-swayer, various horizontal shiftings without bodyweight shifting, hagalla fast and in every variation.
You master turns such as chaîné, pirouette en dehors and en dedans, any kind of arabesque turns.
- You dance complicated and sophisticated combinations with numerous changes of tempo and spatial directions as well as level changes.
- You vary them in space and fill them with your own expression.
- You have a solid background knowledge of various styles in Middle Eastern Dance as well as about Customs, traditions, rhythms, folklore, costume knowledge etc.
- You master different accessoiries and improvises easily.
- Your dance repertoire comprises classical to modern contemporary Middle Eastern Dances and comprises also dances with various moods and styles.
If most of these points fit to you, then your are on level „well advanced“ or „semi professional“.
Level 7 — Master or Professional
- You have outstanding and very profound knowledge about Middle Eastern Dance.
- You dance since many years and you have gathered a tremendous knowledge.
- You analyse, copy and implement movements directly and without problems.
- You posess an outstanding, clear and proper isolated dance technique.
- You master even the highest sophisticated movements with nonchalance and virtuosity.
- You recognize even complicated rhythms immediately and you know how to dance to them, improvised and spontanuous.
- You pick up moods of the music immediately and give them your personal expression which you can transfer to the audience.
- You have a wide dance repertoire which you extend continously.
- You know how to improvise to completely unknown music.
- You work on your own and alone, you create new things or own dances.
- You feel at home in the world of Middle Eastern Dance, are familiar with the scene and you are connected with colleagues.
- You have a wide range and profound background knowledge.
If most of these points fit to you, then your are on level „Master“ or „Professional“.